Thursday, June 25, 2009

Science

Over the past few weeks, I have heard a lot of references to the "science" of things.

The science of design
The science of printing
The science of keywords
The science of selling
The science of finance

The list could go on. But I started thinking this: I didn't do very well in science class. As a matter of fact, I did just about average and had to work pretty hard to be average (this explains why I am not a doctor.)

Prior to starting a company, I would have said that list was an insignificant list anyway. I had a firm grasp on what I needed to know - employment law, recruitment, safety, training, and the complete menu of HR services. It didnt' bother me that I may not know these other things. Until now.

Now, I am irked by every "science" question that I don't have an immediate answer for. For 15 years in HR, I have been the one with the answers. Now - only questions. And more questions. Then, I think - "For 15 years, you have always had the answers. How boring."

A wise man once told me, "Ericka, learning happens outside of your comfort zone." And I have spent a good amount of time in the comfort zone. Starting this business has taken me right out of it.

Instead of being irked by not knowing the science of something, I will choose to learn. Maybe I'll only be an average student in those areas of science, but I'll have learned something.

No comments:

Post a Comment