Thursday, June 25, 2009

Fear

The better part of yesterday was spent procrastinating a task that scares me to death - cold calling.

My dear friend, Brenda, gave me a great book about selling. The best gift I could have received when starting my business, as I am not an expert seller. In the book are tons of ideas to put to use when calling upon potential customers. Many of them, I have incorporated into my calling technique. Still, it is not my strength and I remained terrified.

So I picked up the phone and called someone.

Isn't that just the best way to deal with fear? Look it in the face, say "what the heck?" and just do it. It reminds me of my 2007 climb on Mount Rainier. We were traversing a huge crevasse, which required a giant step (about 3 feet) along with about a 12 inch rise. I stopped - frozen in my tracks. The only thing running through my head was, "I am not going to cross that". It took a little coaxing from the guide and my fellow rope-mates, but I sucked it up and crossed that thing. As hard and scary as it was, I did it. I remember that after that specific crevasse, I was no longer scared to cross the rest of them. As a matter of fact, during each subsequent crossing, I hooted and hollared, celebrating each successful step.

Yesterday, I had the same feeling. Each call got easier, and I finished my day on a high - celebrating each successful step.

Keep putting one foot in front of the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment